<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, May 28, 2004

Alliance/Conservative party Homophobic?: You Decide

Stephen Harper MP: "When Mr. Harper rose to blast the Liberal government for "shameful" conduct and alluded to newspaper "mug shots" of four Liberal ministers. He remarked that the pictures could be posted "in most of the police stations in the country."

When Mr. Robinson rose to complain about the unparliamentary language, Mr. Harper retorted: "Mr. Speaker, I am sure the picture of the honourable member of the NDP is posted in much more wonderful places than just police stations."


Stockwell Day, MP: “God, as a God of love, warns us about things that can be detrimental to us. One of those things is sodomy.”

Myron Thompson, MP: “I want the whole world to know that I do not condone homosexuals. I hate homosexuality.”

Garry Breitkreuz, MP: "If this Bill passes, the institution of marriage will be the next casualty of gay and lesbian lobby groups and weak-kneed politicians. In the 1950s, buggery was a criminal offence, now it’s a requirement to receive benefits from the federal government.”

John Williams, MP:“Going back to the dawn of history and even before, society has organized its way in solid, committed unions between men and women. That is the way in which every society in the world has organized itself. There must be something in it.”

Lee Morrison, MP: “I frankly do not care how homosexuals choose to organize their lives, but to treat their unions as de facto marriages is downright silly. Not too many years ago, if anyone had suggested that homosexual couples living together under the same roof should be awarded the same social benefits as married people, they would have been laughed out of town. It would have been considered hilarious. Yet here we are. Is this progress? I doubt it.”

Reed Elley, MP:“By the mid-1960s we were in the midst of a sexual revolution. The feminist movement started a strident campaign to bring women into the 20th century. They wanted vengeance and retribution. A gradual blurring of the sexes occurred that gave young men growing up in many female dominated, single parent homes an identity crisis. This led to a rise in militant homosexuality The things that had been considered improper went looking for a desperate legitimacy.

In my view, no government can make legitimate any behaviour that has for centuries by tradition, custom, faith and the social contract been seen as destructive to family life If this bill passes without the amendments we have suggested, it will be a sad day for Canada and I, for one, would never want to be a part of that kind of country.”

Robert Ringma MP: Said in May, 1996, he would fire a black or gay person or move them "to the back of the shop" if their presence offended bigoted customers. Mr. Ringma quit as Reform party whip.

David Chatters MP: Echoed Mr. Ringma's remarks about gays and said a private religious college would be justified in firing an openly gay teacher. The Alberta MP was temporarily suspended from caucus.

Grant Hill MP: Alberta doctor described homosexuality as an "unhealthy lifestyle" in making references to certain illnesses more common among gays. He has repeated the remarks, even while running for party leader five years after first making them in 1996.

Cheryl Gallant MP: In April, 2002, the Ontario MP shouted "ask your boyfriend" at Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham in Question Period. Ms. Gallant denied making the comment, telling local reporters she was a victim of a "smear campaign" by the national media. She later apologized.

Larry Spencer MP: Said homosexuality should be illegal and alleged that a conspiracy to promote it includes the infiltration of North America's judiciary, schools and governments. The Saskatchewan MP was suspended from caucus.

Spencer's apology:

"I wish to apologize completely and without reservation for the personal comments I made in an interview yesterday with Peter O'Neil of the Vancouver Sun.
"I retract the statement I made indicating I would support a bill to criminalize homosexuality. I do not believe that homosexual behaviour should be criminalized or that homosexuals should be persecuted.
"I apologize for linking the homosexual community with pedophilia. I was wrong to draw such an inference.
"I apologize to my colleague Svend Robinson. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Robinson as both an individual and as a parliamentarian.
"Lastly, I apologize to Stephen Harper, the Canadian Alliance Caucus and supporters of the soon-to-be formed Conservative Party of Canada.
"I take full responsibility for my comments.
"They do not, in any way, reflect the views of my leader nor my party.
"This is why I volunteered to withdraw from the Canadian Alliance Caucus.
"I will not be making any further public comments on this issue."



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?